The New Covenant
     New Birth/Baptism in the Spirit
Register To Post

| Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
BeYeDoers
Posted on: 2014/7/22 13:55
Just can't stay away
Re: What do you do when nothing happens?
So, what do you do when he's hasn't yet come within through baptism? I don't know there is a scriptural warrant for "tarrying". The apostles had to wait for the Ascension, but we don't, and you never see people "tarrying" for the Spirit postActs 2. I've read Harold Horton's booklet Receive without Tarrying, and it is a help, but how do you obey Jesus' command to "Come, and drink"?
BeYeDoers
Posted on: 2014/7/24 23:31
Just can't stay away
Buehler?

BTW Jonah, did you receive the Spirit at the laying on of hands?
Bartek
Posted on: 2014/8/2 11:58
Just can't stay away
Quote:

BeYeDoers wrote:

But I still lack that definite Receiving experience, as does my wife. We are convinced of the need, and the scriptural promises, but prayer has still not brought Him down. We know the Spirit is "with" us, but we have no assurance of Him "in" us. I think years of going along without Him, and years of being taught against a definite experience are certainly a hindrance, but we really don't know where to go from here.

Hi BeYeDoers!
Any changes in your inner experience?
Bartek
Jonah
Posted on: 2014/8/4 1:46
Just can't stay away
Hi BeYeDoers,

Sorry I missed your question as I do not log on regularly to the site.

It was in 1971! It was in a meeting where the presence of God was very evident in a 1 Corinthians 14:24-26 kind of way. I would say verse 25 exactly describes my experience. I spontaneously went forward and asked for prayer for which I believe I knelt and I am sure the elder who prayed for me would have placed at least one hand upon me.

What a wonderful day...I remember we sang near the beginning the Wesley hymn, 'Away with my fears! The glad morning appears, When an heir of salvation was born!....' In the presence of the saints I had experienced prophetic utterance for just about the first time prior to this and responded to specific utterances to 'step out' on that morning. The whole thing was culmination of many months of seeking the 'baptism in the Holy Spirit' which I had heard about but which was not promoted in the evangelical circle in which I had been moving. I was also seeking freedom from sin...something which the evangelical circle in which I moved did not believe possible, a position which I have recently dubbed 'the evangelical error' as traditional evangelicalism seems pretty sound to me on everything else.

----------------
"Give me the faith which can remove and sink the mountain to a plain, give me the childlike, praying love that longs to build Thine house again"

Jonah
Posted on: 2014/11/2 19:26
Just can't stay away
Ron (...re comments by Ron B on 2014/7/22 13:28:42)

Ron, are you not confusing the ongoing process of eating and drinking (spiritually) - of receiving - with an initial process of seeking prior to new birth? The verbs in this passage which are in the present imperative (ask, seek, knock) are not 'receive' or 'be filled', but they are to do with the process of asking - to do with prayer. I see the use of the present imperative here in Luke 11 simply as a reflection of the need for importunate, persevering prayer - I.e. prayer which is not a one off (which the aorist imperative would denote, if I have understood this correctly) because of the earnest desire of the petitioner. I believe that the Lord looks for genuine hunger and thirst before we can receive Him the first time and this is demonstrated by importunate prayer. Of course a spiritually healthy Christian will continue to hunger and thirst after baptism in the Spirit but I am very surprised that you see the disciples' experience of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost (when He was with them) as just part of a continuum of the same thing that began before Pentecost and continued after it (when He was IN them and they had entered into the mystery of the New Covenant)! The disciples had not received the Holy Spirit and were not in a position to be filled with Him until after Calvary so why would our Lord put the cart before the horse and exhort them to be being filled when they hadn't yet experienced the baptism that would enable them to do this? And even if you are right that this pre Calvary passage is about asking for the Holy Spirit, but not the baptism in Him, that would not apply to someone who is not baptised in the Holy Spirit today; since that experience which was not then available to the disciples is now available, surely they should be seeking that, not an external presence of the Spirit with them - or even if they are just seeking full stop, this should be the outcome. So I believe the passage can quite correctly be applied to seeking the baptism in the Holy Spirit (without having to exclude an ongoing hunger, thirst and process of being filled)!

----------------
"Give me the faith which can remove and sink the mountain to a plain, give me the childlike, praying love that longs to build Thine house again"

BeYeDoers
Posted on: 2014/11/20 17:46
Just can't stay away
Still asking, still waiting.
« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33)
| Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com