The Body of Sin
Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
robertw
Posted on: 2014/7/18 17:05
Needs to get out a bit more!
The Body of Sin
I have been thinking about the subject of the Body of Sin in contrast to the Body of Christ. We had been discussing this on FB a few days ago, but it seems to have ground to a halt. Perhaps this is a better place to develop/comprehend this theology. I made the post below. Perhaps this could be a start?

Just some thoughts on the early verses of Romans 6. Paul doesn't specifically use the term "Body of Christ" in Romans 6:3, but it is implied. If we bear this in mind as we move into verse 6 it makes much more sense: "...knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin." It seems to me that prior to being baptized by the Spirit into the Body of Christ, we were in the Body of Sin. While in the Body of Sin we had a head -- just like we have a head now in the Body of Christ. We also had a spirit that we moved in (Eph. 2:1-3) -- just like we move in the Holy Spirit now.

In my mind our old man has to be Adam. Christ dealt with Old Adam at the cross. By co-crucifying Old Adam (our old man) -- Christ made it possible for the Body of Sin to be made ineffective. That is to say -- Christ made it possible for men to escape being of the generations of Adam to be born again in Regeneration as the Generation of Jesus Christ. Men are either in the first Adam by first birth or they are in the last Adam by New Birth. Our propensities are changed if we are in the last Adam. Whereas when we were in Adam, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. We were of our father the Devil, and the lusts of our father we did do. However, having being baptized into Christ's death we were made free of our Old Man and were placed into the One New Man. (Eph. 2:15) And now it is God that works in us both to will and to do His good pleasurel that is, being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

----------------
Blessings, Robert Wurtz II

The Girded Mind

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GWN)

robertw
Posted on: 2014/7/18 19:03
Re: The Body of Sin
One of the thoughts that I wish to explore is the individual and corporate nature of a body. In the Body of Christ I have a body and I am part of a Body. The same would seem to hold true for the Body of Sin. What are we to make of this?

----------------

The Girded Mind

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GWN)

Bartek
Posted on: 2014/7/20 14:51
Just can't stay away
Can you clarify your question? Maybe brake it down for smaller parts - (it will be easier to discuss for non-English participants?)
Bartek
robertw
Posted on: 2014/7/21 5:13
Hi Bartek,

I am trying to understand how Paul used the word body in his writings. I see it used in two ways:

1. Our physical body
2. A corporate body

When we are born again, we are baptized into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13). This is a corporate body. We are joined together by the Holy Spirit.

Paul says that we must not allow Sin to reign in our mortal body. This is our physical body. We are to present our body to the Lord as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto Him. (Romans 12:ff)

As Christians we have a physical body, but we also dwell in a corporate Body. The Head of our corporate Body is Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 4:15)

What about before we were born again? What corporate body were we in? What spirit joined us together?

----------------

The Girded Mind

Bartek
Posted on: 2014/7/21 12:03
Just can't stay away
Thanks Robert,
Now I think I understand correctly.
I think maybe it would be good to gather the facts/passages which could be the basis for our discussion.
One of the passages which make me puzzled is taken from the very beginning. I used the Young translation, because he employed word which is similar to polish translation:
[...] a male and a female He hath prepared them, and He blesseth them, and calleth their name Man, in the day of their being prepared. (Gen 5:2 YLT)
I see it as first sign of relation between "one" and "many".
I hope it makes sense:)
Ron B
Posted on: 2014/7/21 12:41
I came across this note in my journal today
Quote:
SATURDAY, 16 FEBRUARY 2013 08:08 Have been searching for a way of expressing the way in which Christ has joined himself to us to comprise his body, but couldn't quite get a handle on it it. This morning, at about 3am, I woke with the word 'incorporate'. The Latin origin of the word is to unite things into a 'body'. The word 'embody' has the same idea but includes ideas that I don't want to include. The later statement of 'one flesh' is key. We are joined to him in an entity that is called the 'church'. As the law 'sees' a corporation as a legal entity so the church and its head is 'seen' by God as a spiritual entity. As the church is joined to him, so it benefits from all that he has achieved. We enter into his achievements and share his glories. From the moment of our incorporation we begin to use the pronoun 'we'. Christ has died to sin; we have died to sin. We co-died. Christ is risen from that death; we are risen. We are co-raised. Christ has ascended; we have been raised to the heavenly realm. We are co-elevated. Christ is enthroned; we are enthroned. We are co-seated. And all of these things are 'co' accomplished. If we are 'in Christ' we are co-crucified, co-raised, co-lifted up, co-seated. We do not 'experience' these things in the 'tasted' sense, but we 'see' them by revelation and live in the light of that revelation.

----------------

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com