Apologetics and the Resurrection
Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
Ron B
Posted on: 2014/4/2 11:31
Needs to get out a bit more!
Apologetics and the Resurrection
Can anyone recommend any articles or website at the level of this anti-Christian diatribe...
Richard Carrier
I can address these issues, to a degree, myself but if someone can point me to a tailored response I would be grateful.

I was pointed to this website by a Christian whose non -Christian colleagues advocate Carrier's line of reasoning. Any thoughts?

----------------

Tomas
Posted on: 2014/4/2 21:19
Quite a regular
Re: Apologetics and the Resurrection
This is how Richard Carrier ends his piece:-

"Yet, if one returns to what was probably Paul's conception of a Christ risen into a new, spiritual body, then the resurrection becomes no longer a historical proof of the truth of Christianity, but an article of faith, an affirmation that is supposed to follow nothing other than a personal revelation of Christ--not to be believed on hearsay, but experienced for oneself. Though I do not believe this is a reliable way to come to a true understanding of the world, as internal experience only tells us about ourselves and not the truth of the world outside of us,[44] I leave it to the Christians here to consider a spiritual resurrection as a different way to understand their faith. But I don't see any reason to buy the resurrection story found in the Gospels."

Although the physical resurrection of Jesus is central to Christianity does anyone believe it without personal revelation at some level? Perhaps my experience is outside the norm having been expressly taught as a child that the story of the Resurrection was a lie. It took me a long time and many personal experiences before I could believe the Bible could be trusted. I was pointed to all sorts of books that were supposed to provide persuasive evidence of the reality of the Gospels and in particular the Resurrection but they were all unconvincing. In the end I don't see how anyone can truly believe without a personal revelation of who Jesus was and is and that revelation must encompass the Resurrection. So, ironically, this author who is attacking what has to be true for Christianity to be what it claims to be has nevertheless put his finger on a key point that is often missed or even denied by many religious folk. Of course, anyone who reads the New Testament with an open heart will I believe ultimately be convinced by the actions of the Holy Spirit and rather than try to use historical proofs concerning the Resurrection and all the other facts of Christianity we should be honest and tell people that it does come down to personal experience and personal revelation. I don't see how it can be on any other basis. I didn't believe because the Bible told me (as so many tried to shove down my throat after my first hearing the full Gospel) but because I have been persuaded personally and as a consequence I believe the Bible.
Ron B
Posted on: 2014/4/4 13:55
True. Is this sense apologetics are not intended to prove th fact of the resurrection but its possibility. Is what we knw consistent with the possibility or even the probability of resurrection?

If resurrection took place is the subsequent evidence consistent with yet possibility or does make resurrection an impossibility?

----------------

Tomas
Posted on: 2014/6/1 4:17
Quite a regular
I'm hoping to have time to get back on this in the next few weeks so thought to post a 'holding' response before it disappears into the Biblebase Ether.
Tomas
Posted on: 2014/9/2 3:44
Quite a regular
Hi Ron

I just spent 2.5 hours writing a response to this and when I tried to preview it I was logged out and everything I wrote was presumably lost.

Can it be recovered? If not can you please tell me what time parameters this blog uses so that I know next time.
MikeH
Posted on: 2014/9/2 22:05
We have all done something similar I don't know what the time limit is, but this is not the only problem one encounters that lead to the same distress. There are two simple related solutions: 1) Choose select all in this box (Control-A) and copy (Control-C) every few minutes. You don't need to do much more as long as you don't use Copy for anything else. If your work is lost, open a simple word processing document and Paste it into this. Your work is not lost and can be copied back into NCW when you are logged back in. 1a) If you are not confident that you will remember not to replace what is in the clipboard, paste it into a document every time. 2) Write it in a word processor and then copy the finished answer into NCW. You will need to learn the codes for various formating, though that is not difficult. When you are finished you can paste it into NCW and make any final edits.

PS Just did 1) to make sure that this post isn't lost

PPS Sometimes when previewing NCW freezes and the work is lost!! But this time I was OK

----------------
Kind regards
Mike

robertw
Posted on: 2014/9/3 15:16
I agree with Mike's advice. I have sometimes been fortune enough to simply hit the 'back' button on my browser and have found the post to be intact. I then copy it, as Mike described, re-log-in and paste the post to a new reply.

----------------
Blessings, Robert Wurtz II

The Girded Mind

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GWN)

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com