Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu

New Covenant Workshops Forum Index
   The Christian Life
     Does God have a specific plan for our lives?
Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
Ron B
Posted on: 2006/1/21 12:21
Needs to get out a bit more!
Re: Does God have a specific plan for our lives?
Hi Mykl
Good to see you here. Why not post a note in the 'who do you think you are forum', and I'm glad you resurrected this topic. I don't think we did full justice to it.

What do you think about Hamlet's comment?
"There's a divinity that shapes
our ends, Rough-hew them how we will."

----------------

griff
Posted on: 2006/1/21 19:51
Just can't stay away
Quote:

mykl_c wrote:
I've spoken with many people who worry that if they go to the wrong place (the movies instead of the beach?) they will miss a "divine appointment", I think if God wants you to meet someone, he'll arrange it regardless!

It is certainly true that God leads us without revealing that fact us. Genesis 24:27 says. "I being in the way, the Lord led me.." I know that it can be translated differently so maybe it doesn't count.

----------------
I thank Thee, uncreated Sun, That Thy bright beams on me have shined; I thank Thee, who hast overthrown My foes, and healed my wounded mind;

mykl_c
Posted on: 2006/1/24 4:50
Not too shy to talk
Griff,
An interesting point. I find myself more aligned with the idea that we do what we see needs doing, and if it's wrong, God has ways of letting us know. As for the idea of His planning our lives "moment-by-moment", I don't see that in the Book. There are instances where His will is very specific (Saul, David and Jesus are good examples), but these should not be read as general rules.
Ron B
Posted on: 2006/1/24 11:30
As far as I can recall we have no promise of 'conscious' guidance but only of guidance.

----------------

griff
Posted on: 2006/1/25 15:52
Just can't stay away

One thing I have always found hard to understand about guidance is that if God guides us consciously, there has always been so much dispute about doctrine!

----------------
I thank Thee, uncreated Sun, That Thy bright beams on me have shined; I thank Thee, who hast overthrown My foes, and healed my wounded mind;

mykl_c
Posted on: 2006/1/27 4:16
Not too shy to talk
griff, I think the disputes about doctrine arise because we each think we know what the issues are, and in reality only God does, and ( most of the time) the issues aren't critical to salvation and perhaps He's content to let us argue, the Jews have got a significant headstart on us in that area and they are still arguing!
But I'm sure we grieve His heart when we start hitting each other and proclaiming anathemas.
MikeH
Posted on: 2006/3/30 11:47
Quote:
Is this "I think I believe..."; some uncertainty as to personal conviction?
Quote:
Is this "I think I believe..."; some uncertainty as to personal conviction?

Uncertainty as to personal conviction, as it is not a topic one hears talked about much, and I wanted to see what responses the comments elicited. I appreciate very much yours and others observations.
It is important, because it brings a basis on which to discuss predestination and freewill and the topic of this forum: 'Does God have a specific plan for out lives?' It is a personal conviction, that understanding the root or foundation of a matter brings a better ability to understand the things that are build on that foundation.

----------------
Kind regards
Mike

« 1 2 3 4 (5)
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com