Register To Post

Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
robertw
Posted on: 2007/4/11 15:21
Needs to get out a bit more!
Re: Studies in Colossians
Quote:
For about 20 years I would think but my confidence in my 'grip' has increased over the years. I am not aware of it being particularly 'new'. I have never seen any other definitions which really did justice to the concept, although I am sure they must be out there somewhere.

Are you aware of who may have discovered or rediscovered the seeds of the concept? I guess what I am asking is where did this line of reasoning originate? Did it come about as the result of your own personal devotions and study or were there some others along the way who contributed their thoughts? Were there folk that made 'significant' contributions that altered how you viewed things?

Thanks!

Robert

----------------
Blessings, Robert Wurtz II

The Girded Mind

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GWN)

robertw
Posted on: 2007/4/11 16:21
Hi Ron,

In the "Dressed for the Part" session you mention towards the end the need to be 'renewed' and 'refreshed' as Christians who are in the New Man. The question I have always had is what happens if a person is not constantly renewed or if they don't continually mortify the deeds of the flesh? Is it possible for the old man to somehow rise up again or is there something else at work when the person starts to slip back into their old ways? I understand that God expects us to take an active part in working out our salvation, etc., but what has always troubled me is that if I am dead to Sin (because I am in Christ) what keeps this from being a once and for all event in which I never have to concern myself with the Old Man or the flesh ever again?

Wondered your thoughts on that.

----------------

The Girded Mind

Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GWN)

Ron B
Posted on: 2007/4/11 17:23
Quote:
Were there folk that made 'significant' contributions that altered how you viewed things?

I learn so much by osmosis that I can never properly credit others in my personl life bibiography but I think I can trace one seminal thought to G W North who pointed out that the phrase 'our old man' contains a plural personal pronoun and a noun in the singular. His interpretation to this was that our (plural) old man (singular) was a corporate entity rather than a personal experience.

When I had done much of my own thinking I began to consider whether or not 'the body of sin' might not also be a corporate entity rather that a personal experience. I pursued this for some time and came to a position where I regarded 'the body of sin' as a Satanic counterfeit of the body of Christ. The old man, and the body of sin, being the entire human race under the wrong head and the new man, or body of Christ, as being an entirely new human race under a right head.

Some years later I came across a phrase in Oswald Chambers where he refers to the 'body of sin' as a mystical body which is exactly what I was seeing.

The problem of derivation is that I have read so much of Oswald Chambers that I never know which comes first, the chicken of the egg. I see something he says and I say 'yes, that's how I see it' but I may have read this portion years previously and it has sown its seed in my thinking.

----------------

robertw
Posted on: 2007/4/24 20:29
I want to recommend this study and its accompanying booklet. This is in my opinion the most comprehensive study Ron has shared through audio files. It is well worth studying together with him.

Thanks for sharing this Ron!

----------------

The Girded Mind

« 1 (2)
Threaded | Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com