The Local Church
Register To Post

| Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Bottom | PDF
Poster Thread
davidc
Posted on: 2011/3/17 14:59
Just can't stay away
Re: The Local Church
"I suspect that there was quite a variety of degrees of 'synagogue-ness' in groups were were predominantly ex-Jew. Ultimately the groups splintered along this fault line and we end up with the Ebionites who were essentially a Jewish sect."

It makes me weep to read of the way these Ebionites went, having received so much. But I wonder how the good splinter fared. Did they continue in the faith. Did they accept Paul's teaching. Only God knows His own.

As an aside, do you think that these "synagogue" type churches were the ones to which the Hebrews letter was originally addressed? It is designed to show the pre eminance of Christ, the weakness of the old covenant compared with the new, and the ending of the Aaronic priesthood to bring in the better priesthood of Christ. Just a thought

David
Ron B
Posted on: 2011/3/18 22:13
Needs to get out a bit more!
I think some might be interested in the latest Speakers' Corner podcast. I am thinking about the setting of 'speaking' and felt it would be good to consider why we do what we do. This is just at a basic level of things but there are some things here that you might like to comment on...

Check out Session 5: The Come-Together

----------------

davidc
Posted on: 2011/3/19 3:13
Just can't stay away
Really enjoyed your talk. You asked at one point, when talking on 1 Cor 14 26: "Is it possible to shape a meeting in a way which facilitates God's moving?" You are right that what man does is of no value at all and rather a hindrance. The answer is "One body, by the cross" Eph 2 16.

But, being a man, and speaking from what I have seen, (this already discounts my comments as from the Lord), whenever a small house group moves out of the house into a building, what they gain in space and numbers, they loose in spirituality.

There are scriptures (concerning Pricilla and Aquilla, and Onesiphorus, and others) which could be shown, if we were building a doctrine about it, that the church should meet in a house. If numbers increase, have another house. Perhaps now and again, have joint meetings and hire a building, but this would be a different sort of meeting and would be as Paul write "if therefore the whole church come together into one place" Is the "if" here an exception to their normal house meetings?

Perhaps the house, or household concept more clearly relates to 1 Tim 3 15 "how thou ought to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God". Paul says a bishop is "one who rules well his own house".

Just a thought, but one body by the cross is the true answer

David
Ron B
Posted on: 2013/9/19 13:20

----------------

ADisciple
Posted on: 2013/9/20 4:58
Just can't stay away
Ron B
Posted on: 2013/9/20 12:09
Well done and Yes, I thought of that. The Revelation was written more than 30 years after Paul's epistles and we have no way of really knowing what course the work in Ephesus took. Most of the churches in that area are in some kind of distress by the time of John's writing.

but you are right. the reference to the 'church in Ephesus' in the revelation is singular. Keep it up!

----------------

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)
| Newest First Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top | PDF

Register To Post

Copyright © 2004-2007by Biblebase.com  |   |  Design by 7dana.com